YE OLDE SWAN

A TRADITIONAL PUB IN THE HEART OF TOWN

Our History

The earliest record of the building is from the ledger book c1300 as a property owned by one John King. By 1584 the property was known as "Kings" and included a brewhouse and yards. By 1635 it became known as the Swan.

Although the property was extended in the 19th century with the addition of the East & West wings, some of the original beams are still to be seen.

The Swan is a good example of the increase in property values. It was mortgaged for £400 in 1781, sold for £750 in 1830 and for £1,850 in 1895. (in 1789 it was let for £10 per year).
15 High Street Brightlingsea CO7 0AE
© Ye Olde Swan2021 |
 Website by Big Red Web Design